Wednesday, October 10, 2007

San Francisco

Well, whaddayaknow, this time, it ain't a scraplift - hehehe. Plus, I got to use some of those trinkets in the $1 bag of buttons and mismatched jewelries I bought from a flea market on a trip from Chicago. I've been hoarding this bag for years so I'm thrilled that my being a pack rat finally paid off.
By the way, notice that nameplate which I turned sideways? It is made of aluminum. In order to distress it and turn it to pewter grey, I got myself a sponge and lightly dipped it in black Staz-On. Then I dabbed it onto the silver nameplate leaving a speckled effect which is really kewl - I liked it! :D Give it a try, you'd be surprised how easy it is.
Hidden Journaling Reads: It was supposed to be a family trip but for Alain and I, it felt like a long-overdue honeymoon. Out of all the places we went to, San Francisco is the one place we held dearest to our heart. We both adore the quaint rows of houses, sloping streets, cable cars, picture windows with a cat perched on it drinking in the sun and its beautiful, cold weather. It felt like we were both transported back in time and we were like the cat drinking in every minute of it. Even now, whenever I close my eyes, I can almost smell the cinnamon and orange-peel potpourri which permeates the hallway of the Cartwright Hotel where we stayed in. We both yearn to come back someday, just the two of us to rekindle our romance with San Francisco and fall in love with each other all over again.

Materials Used: DCWV white core CS; Rusty Pickle Mayflower PPS (Priscilla Mullins; Myles Standish; Capt. William Bradford); Prima flower; Craft Express chipboard alphabet; Tres Jolie Tres Bien play card; MM Acrylic Paint; Staz-On.

Other Materials Used: Railway tickets; paper crimper; cotton lace; brass embelise; silver nameplate; U.S. coins; ribbons.

Tuesday, October 9, 2007


I was preparing for the Kaya 4 challenge so I decided to do a layout to try the techniques I intended to use for the actual entry. This may seem like a simple page but the procedure is somewhat tedious. If there is one problem I have, it is the grouping of items. Since the Kaya challenge involves ephemera, I thought it would be interesting to do a collage.

Since, like I said, this is primarily a test-LO, I decided not to give myself a hard time and simply scraplifted from Pagemaps' August issue. This was originally interpreted by Becky Fleck in a 8.5"x11" format. I converted it to 12"x12" but had to make adjustments. Good thing the flower I used was big enough to extend and cover the empty space on the side. I entitled it "Sensitive" because Biscuit has this adorably, sensitive face. Very expressive (in my own biased opinion, that is - LOL).

Journaling Reads: You had to have a heart of stone not to fall in love with a face like this.

Techniques Used: Collage; Distressing; Sewing; Paper tearing; Crackle-finish.

Materials Used: 7 Gypsies PPS; Rusty Pickle PPS; DCWV white-core CS; Craft Express alphabet chipboard; K&Co. chipboard; Prima flower; MM Brads; Staz-On; Dymo tape; Crackle medium; Acrylic paint; Brass embellies; Ribbons; Buttons; Metal bookplate.
Other Materials: Simply Scrappy deckler and sewing template.